Thursday, November 29, 2007

Boy, this is interesting

Stanford 84, Sacramento State 58

Since Sacramento State figures to be one of the very worst teams in all of Division I basketball, this is not a surprise. I don't normally look at these things, but if I had to guess I'd figure Stanford didn't even cover the spread.

Only one more game (and two weeks off and an inexplicable midseason exhibition scrimmage, in which I fervently hope no starters will play, because my innate pessimism tells me that if they do, someone will end up injured) worth of wandering in the wilderness before the team actually starts playing interesting opponents on TV channels that someone other than Dan Marino subscribes to.

In the meantime, let me observe that Ryan Anderson is a Norse demigod. I can't believe how little pub this guy is getting in the mainstream media. He was better-- not "the same," mind you, better, than Chase Budinger last season. (Why? Similar counting stats, but fewer possessions because Cal's injury-riddled team had to play at a glacial pace.) Apparently he's decided that being the best freshman in a loaded class in the Pac-10 was not sufficient, because he's now averaging 24 points and 10 rebounds a game this season.

I guess college players don't have press secretaries, but Anderson could sure use one.

No comments: